Shepard Broad Law Center considers transfer applications from candidates who have completed at least one academic year at a law school approved by the American Bar Association. Candidates for full-time status must have completed at least 27 semester hours of credit and candidates for part-time status must have completed a minimum of 18 semester hours of credit. Transfer applicants must have received a baccalaureate degree prior to beginning law study.
There is no GPA or class rank in law school that assures transfer admission; the admissions committee wishes to see a law school record that evidences academic excellence. Seats for transfer students are limited and the number varies from year-to-year.
Transfer Application Deadlines
- Spring 2015 - December 10th, 2014
- Summer 2015 - April 10, 2015
- Fall 2015 - July 30, 2015
Application files should be completed at least one month prior to the start of the semester for which admission is sought.
Transfer Application Checklist
- Completed application for admission submitted online only through the LSAC Electronic Application Service, including nonrefundable $53 application fee paid by credit card on the LSAC site, www.LSAC.org.
- Letter from law school dean stating you are in good academic standing and eligible to return.
- Official law school transcript, sent directly from issuing school, indicating complete courses and grades for at least the first academic year of law study.
- Copy of the CAS report.
- Personal statement/essay indicating reasons for seeking transfer.
A transfer student may receive up to 30 semester hours of credit as advanced standing toward the residency requirement. Advanced standing will not be assigned for any course with a grade below C. Grades received elsewhere are only considered for admission purposes and will not be taken into account for other purposes at Shepard Broad Law Center.