Career and Professional Development
The Office of Career & Professional Development (CPD) serves as a bridge between students, alumni and employers. The CPD presents programs and events throughout the year, which expose students to a variety of career options, assist them in developing personal profiles and professional skills and, ultimately, enhance their marketability.
Generally speaking, the mission of the CPD is to assist our students and alumni in their search for rewarding employment, and maximize individual job satisfaction and earning potential.
CPD career counselors work with students and alumni by:
- Offering individual career counseling sessions.
- Reviewing and revising resumes, cover letters, and personal marketing plans.
- Assisting with job search strategies, geared toward individual passions and market preferences.
- Assisting with interview preparation, including conducting Mock Interviews, and providing valuable critique and suggestions.
- Offering skills workshops and Career Café seminars - hosting outside speakers presenting on a variety of legal and professional development topics.
- Facilitating our On Campus Interview (OCI) program.
- Facilitating Mentor/Mentee relationships between students and members of the legal community.
- Providing access to our electronic job board, Symplicity.
- Coordinating our Judicial Internship Program - matching students with Circuit and County Court Judges throughout South Florida.
- Assisting with applications for Federal Judicial Clerkship positions.
- Maintaining a resource library of materials to assist students with the job search process.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with employers, alumni, members of the judiciary, and professional organizations in order to increase opportunities for clerkships, internships, and general legal employment, as well as assist students with developing a network of professional contacts.